Deciding to install a patio cover for your Treasure Valley home means you have a wide variety of choices to make. While there are always things to consider like design and color, the first and foremost decision to make is whether you want an attached or detached patio cover. Which is the better choice for you? Well, that all depends on how you plan to use your outdoor space. That’s why Pacific Home & Patio would like to provide you with the following information concerning a detached patio cover vs. an attached patio cover in Boise, Idaho.
An Attached Patio Cover
An attached patio cover is an extension of your home with its primary function to provide shade. An attached patio cover will keep the bright sun at bay during the summer while allowing you to eat and entertain outdoors. Furthermore, if you decide to add retractable shade screens, you’ll not only conserve energy and protect your belongings, you’ll enjoy optimal glare and UV protection as well. This provides you with more living space while staying protected, safe and dry from the elements.
The Pros & Cons of an Attached Patio Cover
- Daily Use – An attached patio cover functions as an extension of our home, facilitating the perfect transition between your interior and outdoor spaces.
- Weather Protection – You don’t have to worry about rain or snow because an attached patio cover will provide your home with additional protection from the elements as you move from the interior to the patio. An attached patio cover will also protect your home from harsh sunlight and harmful UV rays while reducing energy bills.
- Construction – An attached patio cover is often more structurally secure than a freestanding one. Furthermore, they are often cheaper to build because fewer posts are required compared to a detached patio cover, thus offsetting the cost.
- Design Considerations – An attached patio cover becomes a part of your home, fitting its design seamlessly with a less intrusive setup.
- Accessories & Options – You can ensure further comfort and protection from the elements with an attached patio cover when paired with retractable screens. Furthermore, you’ll only need a maximum of three sides of screen coverage for total weather protection. Other accessories, such as overhead fans, heaters, and outdoor appliances, are also easier to add due to their proximity to the power outlets of your home.
A Detached Patio Cover
A detached patio cover in Boise, Idaho serves a different purpose. Often installed next to a pool, they create the perfect outdoor oasis away from your home. While you’ll enjoy a more peaceful and secluded surroundings, fetching things like food and drinks from your home will take you a little longer unless you install an outdoor kitchen.
The Pros & Cons of a Detached Patio Cover
- Daily Use – With a detached patio cover, you can build a covered outdoor space anywhere on your property, creating a unique focal point and transforming empty space into something fun and functional.
- Weather Protection – With a detached patio cover, you’ll unavoidably have to deal with the elements when walking from your home to your outdoor space. Also, your detached structure will be open on all four sides, increasing this exposure unless you install retractable shade screens for added protection.
- Construction – A free-standing patio cover requires more posts to be set in concrete to manage load and lift, ensuring a lasting installation. This, in turn, often increases labor and material costs.
- Design Considerations – A detached patio cover offers far greater design flexibility. There’s no need to match the structure of your home, which is necessary with attached designs. Instead, you can create a distinct look with a wide range of design possibilities.
- Accessories & Options – A detached patio cover presents additional challenges for incorporating accessories, requiring electrical and other utilities to be added if you plan on using an overhead fan, heater, or outdoor kitchen appliances.
Pacific Home & Patio
Whether you decide on an attached or detached patio cover in Boise, Idaho, Pacific Home & Patio will provide you with endless possibilities. If you’re looking to expand your outdoor living space, contact us by filling out our online form or give our office a call at (208) 376-0000 and see how we can bring your yard to life with your patio cover installation services.